Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Tuesday 30 August 2011

What is Dieting?

Dieting is not starving yourself to get thin.  Basically, it is getting the right amount of nutrients that your body needs on a daily basis. There are a lot of sites that helps promote proper diet and this is based from our age and gender.  One may have more needed RDA (Recommended Diatery Allowance) if a person is pregnant or lactating, or if a person is younger or older.


You can identify your needed RDA by visiting the Diet and Fitness Today (RDA). Often, we may not be that conscious when it comes to the proper RDA that our body needs. We focus more on how much calorie intake we should take on a daily basis to make sure that we achieve the weight that we want.  I am guilty about this one because I focused more on my calorie intake rather than my needed RDA, well, it all depends on priority but we also need to be careful to make sure that we are still healthy.




On an average, a woman, should not take less than 1200 calories per day and for men it should not be less than 1500. Our calorie intake differs because it depends on; (1) your weight (2) amount of muscle you have (3) your activities.


What helped me find out my needed calorie intake was the Calorie Calculator.  This also showed me when I can achieve my ideal weight and being familiar with this made me create my own program for my weight loss.


Limiting our calorie intake may help us lose weight but generally it should always go hand in hand with exercise.  Best way to lose weight is to lessen your calorie intake by 500 (depends on the person) and lose more calories from exercise. 


This is when I started to read the labels of my food intake, I wanted to make sure that I am within my needed calorie intake.  




This took me some effort but I already got used to it.  Being familiar with our calorie intake is the first step in taking responsibility of our health and body.  We want to give the best for ourselves but moderation is always important.  What I did was to create my own spreadsheet, nothing fancy, but it helped  me monitor my calorie intake for the day and if I needed to compensate it for the entire week.


I was guided by the Food Browser of Calorie Counter and this gave me an idea about the calories that I took from food (for those that didn't have labels).  When I first tried this one, I had no time for exercise (Sedentary lifestyle) but it worked for me.  It also helped that I had the moral support of my husband!


Just a bit of evidence! :)


One intervention may be applicable to a person but may differ to another, so studying ourselves and looking at where we want to go and how far we want to do it will be our baseline in reaching our goals.  If we know that we can do more, then we can add a little spice with our diet and exercise; if we know that we can only achieve a little then that's it. We should take it one step at a time, not abrupt or we will just kill ourselves.


Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment