Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Monday 6 August 2012

What is your comfort food?

Photo from Getty Images


Yum Yum Yum!!
What is your comfort food?  When you say comfort food, it is something that you crave for when you feel down, stressed, bothered, puzzled or angry!  


Usually this is something that will relieve negative affects or increase positive feeling.  For some reason, it helps increase our energy and motivation to think, speak or act.  

Based from my experience, majority of those I know who liked to eat comfort food are women and more often than not, we crave for chocolate, ice cream or just something sweet. :D


One of the articles that I have read says that one reason we crave for sweets is that we feel happy and energized after eating such (sugar rush they say for children).   In scientific explanation, it says that if we eat sugar it helps with the absorption of an amino acid called Tryptophan, which helps our body make Serotonin. Serotonin, which is a brain chemical that makes us feel contented and happy.

However, sugar has calories but no additional nutritional value and when it is used in treats and desserts then calories can add up fast.  Many sweet desserts and candies also contain unhealthy amounts of saturated and trans-fats too (From nutrition.about.com).


Eating sweets, chocolates, desserts should be fine but it is ideal that we take it in moderation.  Let us not forget about our diet, what is good and not good for our body.

To learn more about Calories and how to control it, I suggest that you create an account in Calorie Counter (which I am a proud member).   I initially wrote about my journey to healthier me in "What is Dieting?" and I am happy to say that I have learned my lessons very well.

This is the reason that sometimes I eat a lot and indulge myself; because I know how to get back to my ideal body. :)


Just as I was talking about indulgence, yesterday, my husband and I ate this mouthwatering chocolate moist cake!


Chocolate Moist Cake from Raya Bazaar


Looks too sweet but it's not.  It is actually a good partner for coffee and chat with my husband!


Happy burping everyone! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment