Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Sunday 8 December 2013

Decisions

In our everyday lives we always make decisions. Whether what clothes to wear for the day or where to eat for lunch.  They might be pretty simple decisions but we are still practicing our decision making process.


Was there ever a time when it was difficult for you to make a decision? You like both parties but you can't have two, you have to choose! 

I've made a lot of decisions in my life (my family and friends would atest to that) ~ these are really life changing decisions that I really need to consider all parties involved and of course myself. 

One was when I got marred. 
Getting married (as what the oldies say) is not a hot rice that when you get burnt then you can just throw it away.  Marriage is an act of commitment, a vow that you will take together with your partner in front of the people you love and in front of God.  A decision that we should be committed for the rest of our lives. 

Another was when I moved from one team to another.  When I got married, my priorities changed and with that I had to make decisions.  My main priority at that time was to have a work life balance and transferring to another team will give me that.  While a possibility for promotion is waiting for me if I stay with my current team.  I had to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision, consulted my husband, trusted friends and loved ones.  Finally I came up with a decision!  I chose what's more important for me and that is to have a work life balance.  No regrets at all, it was even a blessing in disguise that I was able to experience the greatness of the people in my new team and at the same time achieve the work life balance that I was looking for! 

Another decision that my husband and I had to take was if we want to work abroad.  An opportunity came to Sweets and we had to discuss whether to take it or not, taking it means having a long distance relationship.  I am not a big fan of LDR so we really need to sit down and lay all the cards. 

Again weighing the pros and cons, considering the angle of LDR, Career and  Family, our decision was to move to Malaysia (Yes I resigned).  I was a plain housewife for three months and was close to being frustrated with the decision we made.  However, Sweets being at my side all the time, gave 200% support and it gave me the strength and determination that I need to keep on looking for a job and to continue to be inspired!  Blessed that we are, I was able to find a job and it opened opportunities for me!

Those were just samples of the decisions that I / we made.  If I will be asked: 

"Was there ever a decision that you regretted?"

My answer would be "Yes and No".

Yes, because it's a done deal.  There is no magic to turn back the decisions that were made.  What comes next to the regret will spell out how ones life will turn out to be.  Therefore, for me, regret will only be for an hour or two (for simple decisions) or a month or two (for major decisions). 

Regret is a pill, it can be a good wake up call for a time but it can also be a dangerous drug if taken in too long. 

No, because my regrets don't take long. What's the point? For me, nothing! 
I am not fond of lingering into my negative thoughts because I know that it's not good for my health!  

Making decisions are not easy.  Specially if one is so advanced with the "what ifs" and "what could have beens".  We just need to master the act of responding to the results of our decisions.  If it's a good decision then great, if it's a not so good decision then we need to master positive acceptance of the decision and "move on". 

Xoxo






1 comment: