Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Labor Day!

Photo in Accenture at 2009
Essentially, Labor day is a public holiday (in more than 80 countries) where Labor unions and organizations hold mass protests and rallies in major cities.  

Since I am not in any way involved in any protests or demonstrations, Labor day for me is a day for all of us (employees, employers, entrepreneurs & businessmen) to rest and stay at home! :D

Kidding aside, Labor day for me is a realization that even the wealthiest men in the world needs to kick-ass and work smart to earn a living and survive.  We all do and working is not as simple as completing your tasks and answering phone calls, it consists of a lot of working smart and making something out of it.

I have the perfect formula (that worked for me) for continually being inspired at work - I got them all from Accenture and am still practicing them!

1. Love what you do and recognize the value that you can give - whether you have the hardest task in your team, try to look at the big picture and see how you can help the entire team / organization.  

2. It's but normal to commit mistakes and learn from them - no one is perfect and thus it is okie to make mistakes (but not always) -- honest mistakes for that matter and learn from them.  If a person did not commit any mistake then it means that he / she did not do anything


3. It's okie to ask for help - again, no one is perfect and no on knows everything.  There will always be a time where in one should reach out and ask for help.  Asking help does not lessen our personality but builds our character that we can all learn from one another.

4. Value Stewardship - this is one of my favorite core values in Accenture.  People will always be there to help and once you have gained the knowledge that was passed to you, then when somebody needs your help it is the perfect time to return the favor.  We do not own knowledge, knowledge are meant to be shared.

5. Enjoy! - no matter how long you have been doing your project, no matter how stubborn your co-worker is or how arrogant your boss is; work stops at 5:30pm (well this depends on your working hours) and tomorrow is another day to be inspired and energized.

These are some of the things that I keep in mind to get me going but I know there are a lot more out there!  Having a positive note at work is something that we all should have.  At the end of the day, we are working not for the sake of working but for ourselves and for our families. 

Therefore, I always enjoy the fruits of my labor with a well deserved vacation or time at home! Of course with the help of my very loving husband!

Photo at Universal Studios Singapore
More about my working experiences at My Favorite Day is Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment