Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Tuesday 30 September 2014

My 1-2-3 in savings!




It's so hard to save!
I am saying this as a normal person with a normal type of work and trying to live my life paycheck after paycheck! In an ideal world, this is not supposed to happen -- in the ideal world, we should all be able to save and be ready for the future.

Unfortunately, the ideal world only exists in our dreams! Especially if you are living a normal life -- ie. not a celebrity, politician or famous athlete.  Sad to say but we have to admit that "WE NEED TO WORK HARD" to have a better and secured future!  Well this is a challenge for all of us!

Now, I am not pretending to be an expert when it comes to saving money for the future, I am just a simple person with simple ways to save and I would like to share them to you because it might also help you. 

I believe in baby steps so here goes: 

1. Packed Lunch - Even when Sweets and I was in Malaysia, we are really used to bringing our own lunch at the office.  My office mates in MY would always tease me and say "You always eat, Kristine!".  If you bring your own lunch, it will definitely help in your savings.  Let's peg that your daily meal is around Php100 per day (this is a minimum amount), so it's already Php500 per week, and Php2000 per month.  If you BYOB (Bring your own Baon) you can save almost half, not to mention that your meals will be healthy becuase you were the one who prepared them!





















2. Making my own nails and hair - When I was in Malaysia (again), Haircut and manicure / pedicure is expensive.  Thus, I had to learn on my own and do my nails and hair on my own.  Even if I am here now in PH, I still do my own nails and hot oit at home -- I saved a lot of bucks!

    Here is a sample of my simple nail art --> Nails
      Here is a sample of my own hair cut --> My bangs!

3. Thrift Shops - I don't want to suger coat -- Yes, I go to Ukay-Ukay and I must admit that I am a parokyano, mainly because you will be able to save a lot compared to visiting Zara or H&M (and other branded items).  You just have to know the right pieces of clothing to choose  from and you know how to disinfect them.  Most of the time we look at our closets and feel that we need more clothes, my suggestion is to "Look again"!

4. MRT / LRT - In Malaysia, trains are our favorite mode of transportation.  It's much cheaper and faster.  Here in the Philippines, you can also save a lot by taking the train (instead of cab) but you have to extend your patience (mula Apari hanggang Julo).. you all know what I mean.  BUT BUT if you want a convenient ride, then cab is the way to go (you just have to alot some budget on it).




5. DIYingI can't stress enough how I loved DIYing and I have done quite a few already.   My mantra for DIYing is "If you can make it, then do it!".
Being lazy is a whole different story :)



Here is how I did it --> DIY Gloves.

Here is how I did it --> DIY Star Wreath


6. No to "phone plans" - I started using cellphone since 2003 and up to this moment, I haven't enrolled to any phone plans. Simply because I do not want to worry every month that I have to pay my phone bills when I have the option to buy prepaid instead.  Also, I don't want to confuse myself in thinking whether or not I was able to consume my plan (if it's a Plan 1k, or Plan 2k).

























7. No to "credit cards" - From the name itself "credit" - it means automatic "utang with interest" and so I am really not a fan.  Don't get me wrong though, I totally agree to use the credit card if this is for an emergency purpose.  My mantra about credit card "If you can't buy it in cash, then don't buy it!"

8. My movie house habit - My husband and I love watching movies but before jumping to the movie house, we assess first whether the movie is "Movie House Worthy" or not.  If the answer is the latter, then we stay at home and download the movies online.

  9. Staying at home - Staying at homes, means not having to purchase anything at all and this is the ultimate way to save.  Why?

    - If you go to the mall, you will likely see something that you want to buy.
    - SALE in malls, don't be fooled by it, you will be buying more than one item.

Staying at home means having the needed quality time with your family. 
Come to think of it, it's not expensive and yet you have the opportunity to give a priceless gift, your TIME!

How about you? What are your simple tips for saving?!

Xoxo

2 comments:

  1. smart tips. ftom jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be extra careful with 2nd hand clothes not just the physical condition but on how you thoroughly wash it. Also, you may have missed out on Home Economics. Just last night, i was craving for veggies and happen to buy (for less than Php30) a bunch of brocolli, and half butter (for taste). Good thing there was a left over chicken that i diced and included in my cooking. Voila! Bottom line is, make do of what you have and making ends meet (even if you have plenty)...saving for a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete