Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Wednesday 27 June 2012

When I started to love Nasi Lemak

One of the best things about staying here in Malaysia is the fact that they have a lot of food!  Good food for that matter!

When I went here and tried their food, I did not enjoy it because they are just too spicy for me.   I am such a sweet tooth. :D

Therefore, while we are here, I cooked Filipino dishes and we (my husband and I) both enjoyed it.

However, my officemate told me that while we are here in MY we should enjoy the food here because it's an experience that we cannot have in the Philippines.  I knew it was just right to explore the dishes here in MY and thus we tried.

One of the famous dishes here in Malaysia and is their national dish is the Nasi Lemak. It is a fragrant rice dish cooked in coconut milk and "pandan" leaf.  Traditionally, this comes as a platter of food wrapped in banana leaves, with cucumber slices, small fried anchovies (ikan bilis), roasted peanuts, hard boiled egg, hot spicy sauce (sambal). 

There are times that Nasi Lemak is accompanied by fried chicken (ayam goreng), Cuttlefish in chilli (sambal sotong), stir fried kangkong or beef lungs.
(Source from Wikipedia)

My husband was the first one to try it, at first he didn't like it but soon enough he learned to appreciate its taste.  That's the time when I tried to eat it as well.  At first I also didn't like it but as I go along, I also learned to apprecite it. 

It was spicy with a bit of sweetness in it that made me crave for more.  The crunchiness of the anchovies and nuts complemented the creaminess of the steamed rice.  The cucumber helped lessen the spice and the egg neutralizes everything.  For me it was perfect with Cincao or Limao Ice.

Photo from Autobizz.com.my
 Now, everytime someone visits me here in MY.  The first dish that I would like them to taste is Nasi Lemak!

No comments:

Post a Comment