Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Tuesday 18 February 2014

A fulfilling Day!

Accenture is very active when it comes to Corporate Citizenship and one of the goals that I had for this year was to be able to volunteer in any of their initiaitives.  Some one month ago a mailer was released and it showed the list of programs that we can volunteer to.

The first volunteer activity that I got involved with was to interview an out of school youth and see if he can qualify to a technical or vocational training for his future jobs.  The volunteer work was a bit similar to what I was doing in Recruitment and thus I was comfortable doing it.

My second volunteer stint was still within my comfort zone but a bit different.  

I discussed my interest to volunteer with my manager and the day before I volunteer -- her words were "Good Luck tomorrow".  She even taught me how to say "Good Morning".  It was very helpful!

Saturday morning, I was browsing through my presentation, reviewing some examples with Mama Inday and even asked her to give some examples... as if I was talking to my student.. then before I left home --
her words were "Good Luck!".

My volunteer activity was to teach one of four modules of "English for Success".  Yes, I will teach English and I was specifically assigned to discuss the following:

1. Conjugation
2. Tenses
3. Subject Verb Agreement

Sounds fun! Im not a fan of the English subject (not like Sweets) but I'm pretty sure I can handle it!

Now why was I excited? Here are my students:


Four talented and driven people who were very eager to learn the basics of English.  They have a big dream, they want to prove the world that they can do something that some people (sometimes) take for granted.  They want to work!

At first site, they seemed like your ordinary students.  However, the only way we can converse was through English Sign Language. 

Now that's something I am not equipped but luckily we had someone who helped me interpret what I was trying to teach and it all went smoothly.

My goal was to teach some basics of English but the outcome was different.  I learned a lot more than what I expected -- How to relate with them, to realize their goals in life and to help them (even a little bit) in achieving those goals.

I cannot give them the work that they need but I hope I was able to relay some tips on how they can confidently carry themselves through an interview.  Two of them completed a Bachelor's Degree, one was undergraduate of Education and the last was a HS graduate.  I saw a lot of potential, only if they will be given a chance!


This is me together with my students, our interpreter, our representative from DSWD and from our partner from Leonard Chesire Disability Foundation.  They were all helpful and accommodating!  

I wish to do more of these activities -- not only to help relay knowledge to people but to have a deeper understanding about Life!  About how we (abled people) take for granted the things that are sometimes precious for others!

Xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment