Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Friday 11 April 2014

Happy Friday: Knowing your BIG Rocks








Early this year I attended a training here at Accenture - Five Choices.
I heard that it's a must attend training and so I did! I am always excited to attend trainings because I know that I will learn something new and Accenture Trainings never fail to do what I expected.

Anyhow, I do not plan to discuss the training :)
I just want to highlight one of the important things that I learned. Though I already heard of it before, hearing it from the training makes it more reliable!

The presentation mentioned three wordsl GRAVEL and BIG ROCKS!
The GRAVEL represents simple (but many) things that occupies our life and make us less productive, it includes:

- Unnecessary emails
- Instant Messages
- Phone calls
- Urgent meetings
- Adhoc requests
- Prolonged internet surfing

Then the BIG ROCKS includes the following:

- Self
- Family
- Health and Insurance
- Finances
- Dreams and Aspirations

Then sometimes (well most of the time) we crave for the urgencies in life, that includes:

- Excessive internet Surfing (which includes non stop Social media browsing)
- Excessive TV Watching / Series watching
- Over sleeping
- Emails, emails and lot more emails (unimportant)

With these urgencies in life, we tend to forget to think about the important things in life - the things that should really matter and deserves our attention and time. Like thinking about ourselves and our family.

Remember -- work will always be work and when we let them dominate our lives, we lose focus on what's really important.

Imagine that our time is a big bowl, unnecessary things are the GRAVEL and the important things are the BIG ROCKS. How can we fit them all in, in our lives, given the limited time that we have? I know you know the answer -- to further illustrate, please watch this video from one of the seminars conducted by Steven Covey:



If we let the GRAVEL fill our bowl first, then the BIG ROCKS will no longer fit it.
Therefore, it's important that we prioritize the BIG ROCKS over the gravel.

Now how do you plan to sort out your GRAVEL and BIG ROCKS?

Xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I love this sis, another timely reminder for me to prioritise BIG ROCKS over the pesky gravel. xoxo

    ReplyDelete