Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Tuesday 13 November 2018

What do you do when you are stressed?

 
It's not always a fairy tale story or a walk in the park. Whether its at home, at work or at a public place - there will always come to a time where we will feel sad, frustrated, annoyed or even angry.
 
One time, Papa and I are bound to Community General Hospital for his Dialysis. We were waiting for a tricycle to bring us there. We had three tricycle drivers who refused to take us to Community General Hospital and I was already irritated by their attitude. Finally, on the fourth try, we were able to take the ride. Then when we arrived at the Hospital, I paid the normal fare because the distance is not even more than 4 kilometers (the same amount I paid just that morning when Louise and I went to Community), but the driver told me that I still lack Php10.00. Since I don't want to waste my energy, I told him "eto ang Php10.00, hindi ko naman ikakayaman ito!"
 
How do we deal with it?
 
 
A lot of studies says that stress does not do any good for our body.
In a study made by Very Well Mind it states how stress is affecting our brain and it's not a light matter.
 
I am not claiming to be an expert when it comes to removing negative feelings or situations, but these tricks helped me and I want to share with you:
 
1. Pause - In a burning situation (like a heated argument or a complicated client), more often than not, the best thing to do is to pause for minimum of 5 - 10 seconds. It will give us enough breathing and thinking time to process the situation carefully. If we need to respond to the person we are talking to, the pause will give us the time to think and answer calmly. Remember that sometimes arguments are heated not because both parties are right but because of raised voices.
 
2. Laugh - after finishing a dreadful or toxic meeting, road encounter and the like, we need to again take a breather. Silence doesn't apply to me much (you know how talkative I am) and so I release this kind of stress by talking to my team (people around me) and just breaking into a great (loud) laugh. When we laugh, we release .... more so when we are laughing with the people we love.
 
3. Eat - this is the last thing that I would do because I tend to over do it -- and please learn from me. I tend to munch a lot of chips or nuts, spicy food which is harmful to my (sensitive) stomach. So when it cannot be avoided make sure that the food you take will not make you ill. Another one, if you have budget, treat your team with ice cream or chips (my previous lead did it and we were so happy).
 
4. Reflect - is the situation causing you that stress is really worth the stress. Sometimes, we over complicate things. I remember one situation when one of my family member is having a small challenge at home and in her mind the problem is so big that it caused her to think so much. Only to find out that the problem is something that we shouldn't be thinking about in the first place. Again, reflect if the situation is worth the stress. Else don't bother to think about it because stress will not bring you to the hospital or even pay your hospital bills.
 
5. Ask Help - whether its from your family, friends or even professional psychologists or psychiatrist. It pays to know when it is time to seek guidance counseling or a person to talk to. There is really no harm is sharing what your feelings are to the people that you trust because we will never know how effective it will be until we try.
 
How about you? How are you coping with stress?
 
Xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment