Start of something new

Sharing of interests, stories of where I've been and what I did. Insights, thoughts, learning that may be applicable and helpful to anybody in this world!

Sunday 8 February 2015

Basketball: a lot like LIFE

I have been telling you guys that I am not a sporty person. I didn't play any serious sports back in the days because I am afraid -- maybe because I was wearing glasses and I don't want to break my glasses because of any ball hitting my face.

Now on to today, I still don't play any sport but I am now a fan of a Basketball, only because of my husband. Yes I was encouraged to watch even if I know my heart will be beating so fast because I want the team to win.  As I was watching the games, whether live or via TV, I was slowly internalizing that really, this ball game is all about life.  Let me share with you what I thought! 

1. We can be a star - in any ballgame there is always a star player, someone who just can't help but score whether on the inside or the outside.  In life, we can also be a star - be good in what we do and be successful in what we want to be -- but like in any ballgame - you will not be a star player without the help of your team.  In life, we will not be successful without the help of our family and support system.

2. We have limited Air Time - in any ballgame, player rotations happen every now and then, substitution will always be there -- not because the players are not playing well but because the coach believes that the players need to re energize. In life -- we will not always be in the lime light, people will replace us for whatever reason, so when we have the Air Time - let's make it worth it! 

3. Help the other player to shine - self recognition is important, most especially if you are a star player.  In this ballgame it is not always the case. The players need to play with the team and make others shine as well.  They are all playing FOR the team and WITH a team! In life, we also need to give a support system to others, we need to help other people to be successful. Once we do then we are also successful.

4. The coach is there for a reason - no matter how great the players are, if they don't know how to listen to their coach then what's the use of having one!  Coach is there to strategize a game plan to help achieve the end goal (which is to win) and the players need to trust their coach.  In life, I'm looking at our parents as the ultimate coaches in our lives. They will never give us a play that will ruin our lives and thus it is always good to listen and trust our parents! 

5. Bilog ang bola - no matter where the ballgame takes us, whether we win or lose, at the end of the game, learnings will emerge and the players will know how to play harder. In life, we are not always on top of our games, we can be at the bottom and that's not bad.  Life is a continuous journey that we need to travel in whether good or bad, what's important is that we are able to learn from these journey and the learnings will lead us to success! 

How about you? How do you relate this ballgame into your life?

Xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment